This moving business is getting me down.
First- There’s get my current house ready to sell. Which…well… I don’t want to think about it. Have I mentioned the 36 buckets of gravel sitting on my patio leftover from Ken’s thesis experiment?
Second- There’s new house shopping. It’s hard work and I have no idea what I want. Or I want everything. Acreage but still walk to school, pool but still lots of green playing space, more living space but self-cleaning.
House shopping without a wish list leads to distraction, quickly. “Ooh look, a pink toilet. That’s cute.” No Kristin not one bit cute, stay focused.
So I’m making a drastic decision to save my sanity. You know those crazy people on HGTV that walk around house hunting with a checklist and an complicated scoring system? That’s what I’m going to do. Make myself a house shopping list.
I can’t believe I didn’t think of it before. (Probably because the host always makes fun of the couple with the scorecard) I don’t go to the grocery store without a list, a house is a much bigger purchase. I need a list.
Here it is
- Pool, and not a pool that takes up the entire backyard. Or an above ground pool, that doesn’t count.
- Space for a vegetable garden and some fruit trees.
- Kitchen at the back of the house.
- Main floor walk out to the backyard, preferably from the kitchen.
- Kids bedrooms at the back of the house or on the 2nd floor.
- Mudroom space or potential for a mudroom space.
- Sewing and craft space that isn’t the dining room table.