We booked a vacation. A vacation to celebrate Ken finishing his thesis. Which isn’t finished yet.
I sat on the fence about whether or not to commit to a vacation before the final copy was printed, bound and delivered and the date for defence was set but it’s the beach so I bent the rules.
Look out Florida here we come!
We’re planning a few days at Disney and a few days at the beach. The kids are so excited they wore sundresses for dinner. It’s important to note that the dresses were too small on both of them. So both my kids need new summer wardrobes before we’re ready to pack up and head out. Awesome.
We attempted a Disney vacation 2 years ago. While it was fun, it was filed in the comedy of errors section of life. I learned a few things about travelling en famille that I will not be repeating this time.
- I will book the flights. Two years ago Ken booked the flights. He is ridiculous with the number of windows he opens on his computer and while price comparing on 1800 websites he confused PM for AM. We flew out at 7PM and arrived at 11PM.
- Be prepared for storms and flight delays. A 4AM arrival isn’t fun for anyone, 4PM we could probably survive. See above.
- Minimize time spent on the shuttle. We had reservations booked hither and yon, there was no down time on our last visit just time spent racing from one Disney compound to another.
- More old school Disney cartoons. The kids loved the old cartoons last time and I loved them laughing themselves silly watching them.
- I can’t prevent the strep throat/ear infection I developed last time but I’m going to do my best. My plan is like drink lots of scotch and not get stuck on a runway for 5 hours in a thunderstorm. And get a super healthy dose of vitamin C.